[Nfb-krafters-korner] Attention Crochet people

blindhands at aol.com blindhands at aol.com
Sat Jan 23 00:56:38 UTC 2016

I have used from crocheting lace on pillow cases with crochet thread up to
thick thick bulky yarn and all the ones in between and this is how I was
taught by my Grandmother back when I was hmmm 6 or 7 years old.  When I
owned my yarn shop hmm 41 years ago, this is also the way I ttaught
crocheting and this was the way it was described in all of the crochet books
I had.

I might understand a sighted person describing that this is the "Blind way
to crochet", but do you drink a glass of water different then a sighted
person drinks it?  I can also understand someone teaching it with your
fingers so you understand what the yarn and hook is doing and how it is
creating the chain, but that is a poor teacher not to teach you the correct
way, using the correct tools and methods to do it.

I totally understand Terry's thoughts on this as if you want to learn the
more advanced stitches in crocheting you need to learn how to crochet the
correct way, holding the yarn and making the stitches with the hook.
Example" when you have 3 or 4 loops on that hook and you need to yarn over
and pull thru 2 loops, yarn over and pull thru 2 loops and yarn over and
pull thru the last 2 and that is to do 1 stitch.  I can not imagine you
taking the yarn off your hand for each one of those and wrapping it back on
your hand to do it and keep all those loops on the hook and on top of all
that work with the average size hook [G H I ]

So you do need to practice, practice, practice and get into the groove of
the yarn flowing over and thru your hand holding and keeping an even tension
with your pointer figure and just twisting your right hand from 9 PM
position turning the hook facing downward so the yarn will slip into the
groove of the hook neck and pull it toward your right so it will go thru the
loop.

Keep up the practice.

Joyce