[Nfb-krafters-korner] Question about offerings from Horizons

Deborah Armstrong debee at jfcl.com
Tue Jul 5 01:36:15 UTC 2016

So I was looking through the catalog of Horizons For The blind and it
looks like they have some interesting material.

I am particularly interested in their craft books for beginners, and
wonder if any of you had positive or less than positive experiences
learning from these. Some of these items include supplies, for example,
the crochet book contains a hook and the looms contain the loom
instructions. One can choose between large print or Braille. I emailed
them and they said they never send out print.

Still, just brailling instructions intended for the sighted doesn't
really work. Therefore, before I spend money, I don't need to throw
away, I'm seeking your thoughts. I do know how to knit, but enjoy the
abreviations and tips from beginner books because I'm not that good. I
don't know crochet at all, and everything I know about sewing I learned
in the third grade!

The books I'm thinking of buying are:

LEARN TO KNIT: CC01; $6.60

I TAUGHT MYSELF KNITTING: W6398X; $15.00

LEARN TO CROCHET: CC02; $6.50

I TAUGHT MYSELF TO CROCHET: W6397X; $15.00

OPENING THE SEWING BASKET: HFB02; $2.90

LEARN TO KNIT ON CIRCLE LOOMS, 10 Easy Projects by Denise Layman: CP96;
$6.00

KNIFTY KNITTER ROUND LOOM SET: W3702001001X; $19.95
KNIFTY KNITTER FLOWER LOOM: W3707645000WX; $5.95

The website is:

     http://www.horizons-blind.org/horizons-catalog/

and be aware that you cannot order online, you must phone it in. There's
also no prime shipping, you have to pay around $9 to ship stuff.

--Debee