[Nfb-krafters-korner] Introduction

Deanna Lewis DLewis at clovernook.org
Thu Jul 14 13:01:01 UTC 2016

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!
I actually taught myself how to sew by hand. I try to make my stitches as straight as possible by feeling the top of the fabric and sewing just below that. I do have some vision in my one eye, but I can't distinguish the stitches, so I just go by feel. Although, I do tend to strain my next and look at the fabric, even though I can't see the stitches. I guess it's just one of those habits that is hard to break.
Actually, the hardest thing for me now is measuring and cutting my fabric. When I first started quilting, I could see the marks I made on the fabric, and now I really can't (unless it's super light fabric with dark pencil marks). I have templets to measure the squares out on the fabric and draw around them with a pencil. But, since I can't see the marks on the fabric now, I've been kind of butchering the squares or just guessing on the sizes... I've considered  having someone sighted help me with this, but I hate to admit defeat, LOL.
In the past I have purchased pre-cut fabric squares on Ebay, although they were kind of expensive. But, I may look into this option again.
I've tried crocheting before, but I couldn't get the hang of it, but I would like to try it again and also perhaps knitting too.
Deanna

--
This email was Malware checked by UTM 9. http://www.sophos.com

Sent from the Clovernook email system