[Nfb-krafters-korner] bookshare and descriptions

Deborah Armstrong debee at jfcl.com
Sat Jul 30 01:02:43 UTC 2016

  think she meant Politically correct" when she said PC.

Right now only Learning Ally does descriptions. Bookshare has some
funding to research doing descriptions but only a few volunteers who
scan books add descriptions just because they like doing so. And mostly
that's in children's books.

Reading a book on the computer is better than Braille if you want to
search through it, your Braille skills aren't good, or you have a
Braille display so it's in Braille anyway when you need it.

I have great Braille skills but I was lucky to learn it at aged five.
Some of us aren't that lucky!

And I keep lots of books on my computer to make searching easy. If I
want a crockpot recipe for pea soup for example, searching the computer
for pea soup is pretty fast. It is harder for the less geeky of us to
get all this to work well, just as some knitters never drop a stitch
some of us are better than others at making the computer dance.

--Debee