[Nfb-krafters-korner] {Spam?} Fw: notes for Monday's chat on soap making

Nella Foster jellybeanfarm at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 22:29:06 UTC 2016

Here is the information we discussed in last night's chat.  Sorry for the length; I can send as an attachment if that would be easier.  If you have any questions or need clarification just let me know.

Soap is a combination of water, lye and animal fats or vegetable oils.  It is a chemical process called saponification.  Lye is also known as caustic soda or sodium hydroxide.  Once the mixture goes through saponification the lye is no longer active and will not harm the skin.  You must have these 3          ingredients to make a true soap.  Cleansers that do not contain these 3 ingredients are called detergents.  Most “soaps” that you purchase are technically detergents.

Historically homemade soaps were often harsh and could irritate or had a drying effect on the skin.  This happened for a variety of reasons.  Many people were making their own lye from ash and it was unstable.  Animal fats were most often used and they don’t have a lot of moisturizing properties.  Also people weren’t using exact measurements and their soap mixtures were unable to reach saponification.

The 3 methods for making soap are melt and pour, cold process and hot process.  I’m going to focus on hot process since that is the method I have the most experience with.  I also believe you are most likely to get a good quality bar of soap with this method.

  Melt and pour is the easiest; you just melt a block of soap and add color, fragrance and pour into a mold.  The supplies for this project can be purchased at most craft stores.  Melt and pour is fun and a safe project to do with children.

  The cold process can be more difficult.  All ingredients are mixed, heated and then poured into molds.  The mixture is heated just long enough for all ingredients to thoroughly combine, about 10 to 15 minutes.  All fragrances and coloring would be added at this time.  Larger amounts of fragrances need to be used to get good results.  This mixture contains active lye, so caution is required when pouring into the molds.  Saponification happens while the soap is in the molds.  It is hard to know if the soap has fully saponified when using the cold process.  It can take several weeks to a few months before the process is completed.

The hot process method uses a low heat source to cook the soap mixture until it has completely reached saponification.  This usually takes about an hour.  Fragrances, flowers, oatmeal and such can be stirred in at this point.  The mixture is then poured into molds to harden.  It should be left in the molds for a few hours before removing.  The soap can be used the same day it is made.  However, I like to let the bars dry for a few days.  They seem to get a little harder and last longer.
Making soap does require several supplies and there is some risk because both active lye and hot oils are handled.  Using the appropriate equipment and safety precautions is a must.  Research, read and thoroughly understand the process before making your first batch of soap.  I love the end product; since making my own I no longer buy soap.  My skin feels healthier and cleaner.  Homemade soap also makes great gifts.

Here are some supplies and suggestions to use to stay safe.  Wear medical gloves, they are light weight and you can easily feel through them.  Wear safety glasses; you do not want to splash lye or hot oil in your eyes.  Wear long sleeves; you do not want splashing on your arms.  Wearing long pants and comfortable shoes is also a good idea.

During the soap making process you should always have a soapy water and vinegar solution on hand.  Vinegar neutralizes the lye, so it will not burn.  I wash all utensils that touch the lye in it and used it once when a drop of lye got on my hand.  It really works.  I keep one side of the sink just for this solution.  When measuring the lye I do it over the other side of the sink.  If I spill any it will be in the sink.  I rinse the sink out with the vinegar solution, just to be safe.  When mixing lye and water always, always pour lye into the water.  If you pour water into the lye you will get a volcano!

Use larger measuring cups, pans and bowls than required.  This will help prevent splashing and spills.  Keep your work space clean and organized; I take everything off the counters that isn’t required in my soap recipe.  Remember that oils heat up faster than water, so be careful with them.  Pour away from you and lift the lid away from you so not to get burned by steam.  Soap making is basically cooking, so apply the same safety precautions and blindness skills.

Here is a list of the basic supplies you will need to get started.
Measuring cups and spoons
Bowls of different sizes
Large plastic spoon
Sturdy metal spoon for getting solid oils out of container
Kettle for melting solid oils (I do this in the crock pot)
Digital scale
Stick blender
Slow cooker or double boiler
Soap molds (molds can be as easy as a shallow box lined with a trash bag)

If you decide to make soap, start with a simple recipe that doesn’t require lots of ingredients.  You will need fats, water and lye.  The fats can be animal or vegetable depending on the recipes; these can be purchased at your grocery store.  Always use distilled water, tap water may contain minerals that will react with the lye.  Sometimes lye can be difficult to find.  I get it at hardware stores.  Remember lye is also called caustic soda or sodium hydroxide.

Here are a few things that I’ve learned from experience.  Using a crock pot is better than a double boiler because it is easier to regulate the heat.  I put the pot on high for 15 to 20 minutes then turn down to medium.  If the soap mixture gets to hot it will boil over and it is no fun to clean up.  .  Most recipes will tell you not to open the pot very often because it allows heat to escape.  Since I can’t see through the lid to tell which stage my soap is at I open the lid and stir every 10 to 15 minutes.  This does slow down my cooking time; it takes me about 10 to 15 minutes longer than the recipes say.  I would rather take the extra time than clean up a mess.

  It was helpful to make the soap with a sighted friend the first few times.  She was able to tell me what the mixture looked like in the pot and I was able to feel the consistency with the spoon.  Now by stirring and taking note of the consistency I have a good idea of where we are in the saponification process.

I cannot recommend the following book enough.  I think of it as my soap bible.  The author does a great job explaining the process and has many very good recipes.  She also discusses using coloring and fragrances.  There are many good articles and recipes on line as well.  There are several videos on You Tube, but some of them are hard to follow.

Handcrafted			 soap DB56092
Boone, Delores. Reading time: 5 hours, 8 minutes.
Read by Patricia McDermott.

Hobbies and Crafts

Describes the hot-process method of using an indirect heat source such as a slow cooker, an oven, or a double boiler to make luxurious soap at home. Includes instructions for twenty-eight recipes that can be personalized by adding oils, fragrances, and colors. 2002.

Here are some websites that I frequently purchase supplies from.  Some of them have articles and recipes as well.  You will have many of the supplies in your kitchen already.  Supplies can also be purchased at grocery, drug, Health food and hardware stores.

www.brambleberry.com

www.caprinesupply.com

www.hoeggerfarmyard.com

www.bulkapothecary.com