[Nfb-krafters-korner] REPOSTING: Knitting Loom Information

Courtney Fulghum Smith cmfulghum at gmail.com
Sat Jun 18 18:26:17 UTC 2016

Monday Night Chat Notes

Hello, everyone! Below are just a few highlights from last nights chat. If
you have any questions, please post them to list.

LOOMS
   ● Knifty Knitter, round or long loom set
   ● Boye Knitting Looms, round or long loom set
Here is an Amazon link where you can find these looms:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1/181-8878205-8478922?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=knifty+knitter+loom

   ●Loops & Threads Knitting Looms – I have not used these looms, but I
have heard good things about them. Terry Powers & Henry Osborn have used
these looms. They can be found at Michael’s.

●CinDWood Looms – I have not used these looms, either, but I have heard
good things about them & I also hear their Customer Service is great. I did
look at this site last night & was amazed at the different sized looms.
They do have some large guage looms, but most were fine- to medium-guage. I
feel the prices are good for the type looms you get, but I recommend trying
out some plastic loom sets before making the investment in to more
expensive looms. www.cindwoodlooms.com

   ●Martha Stewart Looms – I have not used these looms & I have heard
nothing but complaints about them not only from blind users, but sighted
users, as well.

When purchasing the Knifty Knitter & Boye loom sets, you get four sizes of
looms, a loom hook & tapestry needle. Remember, the decision is yours when
purchasing knitting looms. Read about the different loom brands & purchase
the looms that you feel will best work for you.

WEB SITES

You can find almost any pattern you are looking for for free by doing a
Google search. There are tons of free & pay-for patterns floating around
out there. For beginners understanding these patterns may be hard to
understand, but in time, you will find it gets easier & easire.

Below are a few sites that were mentioned last night & some that I use that
are accessable.

   ●Good Knit Kisses
     www.goodknitkisses.com/
   ●Loom-A-Hat
     www.loomahat.com/
   ●Ravelry
     www.ravelry.com/

YARN

Depending on the loom guage (space between each peg) depends on the type
loom you are using. There are several yarn weights out there. The weights
of yard that I have noticed being used most often in the KK classes is
worsted (#4), bulky (#5), or super bulky (#6). Again, the size yarn you use
is YOUR choice. With the Knifty Knitter & Boye looms some people use only
bulky or super bulky. I have used worsted weight & some that is considered
a light worsted weight (not as thick as a traditionsl worsted weight). When
using a yarn that is not as thick as bulky, your project will have more
“holes” in your fabric giving your project a lacy look. Sometimes this is
good, sometimes not so good.

Smaller guage looms can use DK weight yarn (#3) to cobweb weight yarn. I
personally have not ventured in this area yet.

Below is a link explaining the different yarn weights:
http://www.craftyarncouncil.com/weight.html

GUAGE

Each brand of looms has a different guaging system. There is even guaging
differences in some loom sets. Guage is measured from the center of one peg
to the center of the neighboring peg. Some of the guage sizes are listed
below:

     ●5/8"
     ●3/8"
     ●½"
     ●1/4"

As a personal note, let me encourage you to research projects, ideas,
reccommendations, etc. on your own – don’t just take our word for it. You
have to make decisions that are right for YOU not what is right for someone
else. We are all here to help & encouage each other. If you learn a new
trick or have a cool tip, share it on the list if you want. What you share
may help others or can be a buliding block for another great tip or trick.

As always, if you have questions, please do not hesitate to post them to
the list. You will get an answer or two, or three.......

Happy Looming!!

Courtney Smith
cmfulghum at gmail.com