[Nfb-krafters-korner] Monday Night Chat June 20

Deborah Armstrong debee at jfcl.com
Tue Jun 21 15:43:19 UTC 2016

I enjoyed the chat, and I hope I didn't forget to mute myself.

When I took the class Saturday, I was careful to use technology with
which I was already familiar. I used a soft phone program for my PC
which I love.

But with the chat, I wanted to try out the FreeConferenceCall app. It
had several unlabeled buttons, and when I pushed one, I thought it had
hung up, but it had just switched the phone to internal earpiece, it
disconnected my bluetooth headset. I put the phone in my purse.

Later, when I still heard your voices on the chat, I worried that all
the rattling on the paratransit van had disturbed others on the call and
perhaps I'd accidentally unmuted myself. If that happened, my sincerest
apologies!

I'll try to continue to join the chats on my commute when I can using
the app. If I disturb anyone because I'm experimenting with the app,
please email me and let me know I'm being a nuisance.

Meanwhile, I'll ask on the NFB in Computer science list if anyone else
can tell me what the unlabeled buttons do;  I bet other divisions use
this same service.

One cool thing about using the app is that it is completely free except
for data charges, and it doesn't mess up incoming or outgoing calls. I
made several calls to my husband who was worried because the van was
late. The app automatically kept me connected but muted my phone
conversation, then seamlessly returned me to the conference. This meant
I didn't use any celular minutes on the conference call.

--Debee