[Nfb-krafters-korner] To all members

Ramona Walhof walhoframona at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 18:17:00 UTC 2016

Courtney, you raisse interesting questions.  I think the advantages to being
a division in some ways are the same as being a group, except that there is
more prestige to being a division.  We can and have put announcements in the
Braille Monitor.  A group probably wouldn't be able to do the craft show at
convention.  It costs the NFB more than we make to make the room and tables
available.  Maybe we should go to every second year, anyway.  But that may
be a consideration.  I think there is a link from the NFB website to the
Crafter division Website.  That may be possible with a group, but I don't
think any of the groups have Websites.  They are generally unstructured and
have relatively little activity during the year.  So we really fit the plan
for a division much better.

I think It is up to us whether to have dues or not whether we are a division
or a group, but most groups do not.  We need some funds to have a Website.
We raised dues because we thought we were going to need to buy some
equipment for tv broadcasts, and may still do that.  We also have tried to
help some people go to national convention.  We may need to finalize how we
do that, but the experience of a national convention is a very valuable
experience, and many of us want to offer it to others.

The other huge advantage is the ability to share our craft experiences with
other blind people through classes, chats, list, and on and on.

I don't know everybody on the list, but I think about two-thirds of our
members were members of the NFB chapters before they joined the division.
We have not made a fuss  about having people join the division if they are
not members of a chapter first.  We are glad to have them, anyway.  But we
also have been clear about division membership including a membership in the
Nfb.  That means each person is a member of the most positive and powerful
force in work with the blind in the country, and probably in the world.
Most people feel good about that.

That's my take on your questions.  Hope it helps.
Ramona