[Nfb-krafters-korner] crochet with fabric

Jean Menzies jemenzies at shaw.ca
Tue Jun 28 22:39:49 UTC 2016

Hi Catherine,

Try adding words like rag rug to your search. So, a search might be crochet
fabric strips rag rug. Most people don't use a pattern, but make up their
own. Here is an example site where the gal uses torn fabric and joins them
with knot joins. I do my joins differently, and can describe in more detail
if needed.

http://www.sustainablebabysteps.com/rag-rug-instructions.html

Here is another site where the maker sews her strips together. I am not a
good sewer, so I wouldn't do that. lol

http://crazymomquilts.blogspot.ca/2014/04/how-to-crochet-rag-rug-with-fabric-yarn.htmlsw

Note that I dont know how to crochet yet, but both of these people do
discuss how they work the crochet. But people just seem to work out their
own patterns either with specific colours or random colours. Basically, it's
as free form as you want it to be.

If you want to use wider fabric strips, say an inch and a half or more, you
can get giant hooks here.

http://www.fabinbc.com/online-store

The larger your hook and the wider your strips, the faster your rug will
come together.

For twining, I use strips about one and a half inches. I did my very first
test piece with strips 2 and a half inches or so, and it made a very thick
matt. I want to make dog matts with strips that wide or possibly 3 inches,
and perhaps use old towels to make it thick and soft. There's no rule in
this art form for true width. It's whatever you want for a given effect.

Hope these links help get the creative juices going. People also knit with
fabric strips, so that's another idea of just using a different medium other
than wool or acrylic yarn.

Jean