[Nfb-krafters-korner] Lion Brand Studio in NYC

Annette Carr amcarr1 at verizon.net
Sun Mar 13 02:47:06 UTC 2016

I looked at the Lion Brand Studio listing of current classes and workshops.
Most appear to be multiple sessions, and are really designed for the local
student.  I did not see anything offered at the studio that isn't offered at
the various yarn shops in my area, and most likely offered at yarn shops
near most of us.  There is a slight indication that they will work with
individuals and small groups to design a specific class.  I'd be willing to
look into this.

It appears that they have the entire stock of Lion Brand yarn on hand for
"petting", and maybe even working with.  They may even have needles and
other tools and accessories.  This is all available for purchase.  They also
have examples of things that can be made with their yarn through various
yarn crafts.  The studio hours are

.         Sunday 11:30-5:00

.         Monday - Thursday 11:30-7:00

.         Friday 10:00-4:00

So my recommendation would be to see if they would do a yarn workshop for
us.  This would include an opportunity to touch and maybe work with the
various types of yarn.  Provide details on the properties of the yarn and
what type of projects they would be good for, as well as what not to use the
yarn for.  An explanation of tweeds, twists, self-striping, painterly,
variegated, etc.

I'm thinking a class on a Sunday or on a Monday or Friday afternoon would
allow for the most versatile travel options as well as time for sightseeing
and visiting.  Maybe we could plan to do our own hands-on session in our
hotel rooms if we were staying overnight.  Some ideas for this could be

.         Teach a skill or project that maybe is not suited for our phone or
e-mail classes.

.         make items to be sold at convention

.         Work on a charity project, i.e. we all bring a knitted, crocheted
or woven square of a particular size, and when we are together, we join the
squares.

.         Learn how to group knit a blanket for charity.  This is where 3 or
4 people are simultaneously working on the same blanket.  The blanket is
worked in the round and each person just works on their section of the
round.

Are there people interested in really doing this?  If so, would you be
willing to make a weekend out of it, or are you more interested in a day
trip?  Would you be interested in doing more than yarn related stuff?

Your thoughts?

Annette