[Nfb-krafters-korner] OT: Talking Thermostat

Annette Carr amcarr1 at verizon.net
Sun Mar 20 13:04:23 UTC 2016

Hi Karen,

With our previous York heating and cooling system I could never find an
accessible thermostat that was compatible with the system.  However, I could
raise and lower the temperature although not knowing by how much.  Once I
had an iPhone, in situations where I needed to know what was being displayed
on the thermostat, I would do a FaceTime or Skype session via my iPhone with
a family member or friend.

About 15 months ago we had to buy a new heating and cooling system.  I had
hoped to improve the accessibility of the thermostat with the new system,
but no such luck.  We bought a Carrier Infinity system.  It uses a touch
screen thermostat as well as can be controlled by a website or an Apple App
Store free app.  We looked into alternative thermostats, but none were
compatible with the Carrier system if we wanted to have the system utilize
the energy saving features that drew us to it.  The website and app access
were another disappointment.  They were so inaccessible, that I was not even
able to log into them with JAWS on the computer or Voice Over running on the
iPhone.  It has been a while since I looked at the website or app, so I
should put them back on my To-Do list.  However, since there is an "app for
that", if I am home alone and need the thermostat adjusted, I just call a
family member and they access the system from the app.  As much as I hate
not having independent access, this system needs very little adjusting, so
none of us have to mess with it very often if at all.  It automatically
switches between heat and air conditioning based on outdoor and indoor
temperatures.  The system does send us e-mails to let us know when the
filters need to be changed or if there is a problem.  In addition, our
heating and cooling system service provider is able to access the error
codes remotely if we are having problems.  They do not charge extra for
this, and it should reduce the time they are at our house if there is a
problem.  Theoretically saving us money.

There are 3rd party apps and websites that might give you access to your
thermostat.  Some home security systems can do this as well.

If you are looking to add an accessible thermostat to your current system,
give some thought to a few things.  If you are renting, how long do you plan
on staying there.  Whether you are renting or own your home, the age of the
system should be taken into account.  If the system is older than 10 years,
what is the life expectancy for it.  Buying a thermostat for an old system,
may very well not be compatible with a new system that is purchased in the
future.  We did not have much time to conduct research as our system stopped
working during the first cold snap of that system.

HTH,
Annette