[Nfb-krafters-korner] Measuring Hot Candle Wax and Other Candlemaking Questions

Sirena Carroll sirenacarroll86 at gmail.com
Tue May 3 00:03:07 UTC 2016

Dear Crafters,

Looks like I may be venturing into candlemaking a bit sooner than
planned due to an oppertunity that's popped up over here, but I had a
few questions for blind candlemakers first.

I wanted to know how you candlemakers measure your hot wax when
pouring it into a container or a mold if making wax tarts, bars or
cubes. I've read on Lonestar that you shouldn't fill the container up
past the widest part of the jar, but how do you tell where that is for
yourselves? Do you just use smaller jars and liquid level indicaters?
Could an LLI even take that kind of heat? I like larger jar candles
myself, and would not wish to be limited to a certain size due to
this.

Another question. When wicking your containers. To ensure centering,
do any of you use wick-centering tools? If so, which would you
recommend and do you find they work for you? Also, do you use wick
stickers, glue dots, or another method of making certain the wick
adheres to the bottom of the container?

When it comes to cutting one pour wax, if that is what you use, what
tools do you use to do it? Or do you just get wax pellets, shavings or
however else they're sold?

What is a wick bar? I think I get the idea, but physically, what does
it look like and what is it for? You have the wick centering tool, if
you use it, and then a wick bar which instructions say to affix as one
of the final steps. It comes off, of course, but what is it actually
for?

Same with wick tabs. What are they used for?

I can google all of this as well. I just figured I'd ask here.

Oh, one more question. Do you use double boilers or a double boiler
system like an inch of water in a saucepan with the pouring pot placed
in the center, elevated upon a metal trivet or an inexpensive metal
cookie cutter?

Thanks for all your help!

Rena