[Nfb-krafters-korner] farm and gardening

Nella Foster jellybeanfarm at gmail.com
Wed May 11 00:19:49 UTC 2016

Henry:

Here are a few tips that I have from making mistakes. Lol

I would suggest at least 3 gallon pots and 5 would be even better.  Smaller amounts of soil means fewer nutrients.  The smaller pots will dry out more quickly as well.

Use potting soil or maybe a mix of potting and top soil.  Potting soil is designed to be lighter and it doesn't pack down as much as other soils.  If you use the soil another season you will need to add some fertilizers.  There are some made especially for vegies.

Clay pots will usually hold in moisture longer, but they are more expensive and heavier.  Plastic pots are cheaper and lighter, but may dry out more quickly.  Wooden containers are nice, but usually don't hold up as well and metal tends to get hot and dry quickly.

I've seen types of tomatoes designed especially for pots.  I've had the best luck with the small to mid-sized ones.  I've never been real successful with the large slicing types.  I've always had good luck with peppers in pots.  I have as many as 4 peppers in 1 large pot; it is 15 to 20 gallons size.  I believe tomatoes need at least 8 hours of sun a day, but not positive about that.

You will need to get some tomato cages or build some type of structure for the tomatoes to vine on.  This is not necessary with the peppers.  I look for varieties that say they have high yields.  I also plant different varieties so I don't have all the tomatoes getting ripe at the same time.

There is nothing better than a home grown tomato right off the vine.

Nella