[Nfb-krafters-korner] gords

Ramona Walhof walhoframona at gmail.com
Wed May 11 23:08:34 UTC 2016

I got six gord plants.  Two are called martins and will be sort of pear
shaped.  Two are called kettle gords, and I am eager too see their size.
One is called African wine Kettle and is supposed too grow huge.  The last
is some kind of canteen, and I think it is supposed to be long and narrow.
None of these are bumpy.
In the gord lady's shop, there were amazing creations.  I am sure I will not
have the patience too spend the time she does, but I got lots of ideas.  And
I hope to have time next summer to start building some skill.

When you pick them as late in the fall as possible before freezing, they
have all the seeds and goop in the middle.  If you leave them outside or in
the garage all winter, the middle dries out.  When you open them, you still
have to clean them out, but it should be drier than when they are still sort
of green.  We were told today that they are all similar color, but we have
certainly seenm some that are darker and light brown and tan with even
shades of yellow and orange.  They may be plants that this lady does not
grow.

This lady says that the African wine kettle vine can grow 100 feet long if
you don't clip it.  We can use wire racks for some of the smaller gords, the
biggest ones will be too heavy for that.

She had all sorts of things woven around the tops.  I can't tell you about
them all. One was hanging from a cord with a spring hanging from the bottom.
When you pull the cord at the top, it thunders.  There is a false bottom on
the gord, but apparently it is the right shape to really make a big sound.

Lots of fun things to learn.