[Nfb-krafters-korner] learn to make braille drawings

Powers, Terry (NIH/NCI) [E] Terry.Powers at nih.gov
Thu May 12 18:37:26 UTC 2016

Use the st and ch sign for the slant.

Terry P.

-----Original Message-----
From: Sandra Gayer via Nfb-krafters-korner [mailto:nfb-krafters-korner at nfbnet.org]
Sent: Thursday, May 12, 2016 1:22 PM
To: List for blind crafters and artists
Cc: Sandra Gayer
Subject: Re: [Nfb-krafters-korner] learn to make braille drawings

Hello Everyone,
Coming back to Braille drawings as in drawing using Braille, the basic design for a print K is:
Dots 4 5 6 followed by the OW contraction will make the K face right.
O followed by L make it face left. Play with hyphens, go down a line an line up the middle of the hyphens with EN then IN to make it face downwards. For the opposite direction, it’s a line of C’s with IN then EN on the line above, lining them up for the middle.

That’s the straightforward part. The real trick is how to extend the angular spokes in order to create a big letter. My above description relies on a very small scale. I’ve tried this with the straight part being one cell and absolutely no more than three cells, (vertically).
I tried extending the spokes with the Braille K. I’ll get back to you when I’ve tried it on my parents, (who are sighted).

In Other news, I’ve finally figured out my Maltese Cross. Again, I need to test it on eyeballs. My next challenge is definitely going to be flowers. I looked up some basic instructions about how to draw basic flowers in print or black and white. I think the tulip or daffodil will be the easiest to recreate in Braille.

Very best wishes,
Sandra.

--
Soprano Singer