[Nfb-krafters-korner] The Perkins Braille Drawings Book

Valerie snowflake9587 at gmail.com
Thu May 19 01:11:48 UTC 2016

Hi all,
I bought my own copy of the “Drawing with Your Perkins” book a week or so ago, and I just got it today. I asked them to give me a Braille copy of the book, and I expected that the instructions would be brailled too. Either this assumption is mistaken, or they gave me a print copy after all. In between each of the Braille drawings are a few print pages. My question is: Does the print version just show pictures of the Braille dots, or does it have the actual Braille drawings in it for demonstration purposes? My sister has partial sight, and she said that the print pages in between had instructions for each picture on them, but I couldn’t find them written in Braille. I knew how to make most of the drawings in the book because I have the Marie Porter PDF file, and they have similar drawings in each—something else I didn’t know—but I had hoped for further direction, and maybe even a little more background info on how Braille Pictures came to be. If the text is only in print in both versions, they should just give you an option to download an electronic copy. Once I got that, I could then braille them out myself. I use my Braille Note to read the instructions for each drawing, and Braille it out line by line with my Perkins Braillewriter. Even the title of the book isn’t labeled in Braille, which I found surprising. Is it meant to be specifically for Braille transcribers who want to Braille out pictures for us blind folk? Mostly I’m just confused, but I’m going to keep the book because it’s bound a little better than the sketches I made and may last longer as a result.
Hope you all are well.
Take care,
Valerie