[Nfb-krafters-korner] FW: how to create simple braille shapes

Terry Powers terrypowers59 at gmail.com
Sat May 21 19:28:31 UTC 2016

There is a small circle here!

Terry

-----Original Message-----
From: Powers, Terry (NIH/NCI) [E] [mailto:Terry.Powers at nih.gov]
Sent: Friday, May 06, 2016 2:19 PM
To: terrypowers59 at gmail.com
Subject: FW: [Nfb-krafters-korner] how to create simple braille shapes

-----Original Message-----
From: Cathy via Nfb-krafters-korner [mailto:nfb-krafters-korner at nfbnet.org]
Sent: Monday, July 13, 2015 3:44 PM
To: krafters korner
Cc: Cathy

Taken from the Blind Perspective Magazine.
I recommend this magazine to anyone who does not already receive it. a wide
variety of articles on wide range of subjects.

Visit their website at: The Blind PerSpective.com

The Braille Highway
By Nat Armeni

Welcome to July's article. In this article I will be concentrating on having
fun with braille. I will be describing how you can create braillables. What
are braillables, you ask. They are diagrams created with either a braille
writer or slate and stylus. I am going to give you instructions on how to
create 4 simple braillables (diagrams). After having mastered these simple
ones listed below, then you can get your creative juices flowing and come up
with your own braillables.

You can use either size braille paper, but for the purpose of this month's
article I will be using the standard sheet size 8.5" x 11" braille paper.
Once you have completed these braillables, you can have people color in the
shapes or if you are showing them to a real youngster, it may be fun for
them to feel and see if they can correctly identify the simple shapes. If
you have no idea about braille, do not worry I have included both the
character's name along with the dot numbers that will create that symbol.

The first shape I will be describing is a circle. For this braillable, we
will start at the very left hand side of the paper or flush left.
Line 1: The letter s (dots 2, 3, 4), followed by 2 letter c's (dots 1, 4),
followed by WH sign (dots 1, 5, 6).
 Line 2: Return the carriage back to the very left. The letter l (dots 1, 2,
3), followed by 2 blank spaces and then the dots 4, 5, 6.
 Line 3: Once again bring the carriage back to the very left hand side.
Braille the GH sign (dots 1, 2, 6), followed by 2 hyphens (dots 3, 6), and
then the A R sign (dots 3, 4, 5).
 You can enlarge this circle by adding the same amount of C's and hyphens,
as well as remembering to add l and the 4, 5, & 6 sign. For every 2
c/hypens, I would add 1 extra row of l/4, 5,6 signs.

The next braillable or shape we are going to work on is a rectangle. Once
again, this shape will be located on the very left hand side of the page. So
make sure the carriage is pushed all the way to the left side of the braille
writer.
Line 1: Braille a letter p (dots 1, 2, 3, 4), followed by 4 letter c's (dots
1,4), then a TH sign (dots 1, 4, 5, 6).
 Line 2: Bring the carriage back to the very left hand side. Braille the
letter l (dots 1, 2, 3), followed by 4 blank spaces, and Then dots 4, 5, 6.
 Line3: Bring the carriage back to the very left hand side. Now repeat line
2 for 5 more times,. Now you will have 7 lines completed.
 Line 8: Bring the carriage to the very left hand side. Braille a v (dots 1,
2, 3,6), followed by 4 hypens (dots 3, 6), then a number sign (dots 3, 4, 5,
6).
 You have completed the rectangle.

We are now going to work on a square. This is our last braillable that will
be located on the very left hand side of the page.
Line 1: Braille a k (dots 1,3), followed by 6 a's (dots 1), then braille
another k (dots 1, 3)  Line 2: Bring the carriage back to the very left hand
side. Braille a k (dots 1,3), followed by 6 blank spaces, then braille a k
(dots 1, 3)  Line 3: Bring the carriage back to the very left hand side.
Braille a k (dots 1, 3), followed by 6 blank spaces, then braille a k (dots
1, 3).
 Line 4: Bring the carriage back to the very left hand side. Braille a k
(dots 1, 3), followed by 6 apostrophes (dots 3), then braille a k (dots
1,3).
 When you look at your handy work you should have a square.

The fourth and final braillable is a triangle.
Line 1: The carriage should be pushed all the way to the left hand side.
Press the spacebar 12 times now, braille a ST sign (dots 3,4), followed by a
CH sign (dots 1, 6)  Line 2: Bring the carriage all the way to the left hand
side. Press the spacebar 11 times, and braille a ST sign (dots 3,4), press
the spacebar 3 times, and braille a CH sign (dots 1,6)  Line 3: Bring the
carriage all the way to the left hand side. Press the spacebar 10 times,
braille a ST sign (dots 3,4), press the spacebar 4 times followed with a CH
sign (dots 1, 6)  Line 4: Bring the carriage all the way to the left hand
sige. Press the spacebar 9 times, braille the ST sign (dots 3, 4), press the
spacebar 5 times followed by a CH sign (dots 1, 6)  Line 5: Bring the
carriage all the way to the left hand side. Press the spacebar 8 times,
braille the ST sign (dots 3, 4), press the spacebar 8 times followed by a CH
sign (dots 1,6)  Line 6: Bring the carriage all the way to the left hand
side. Press the spacebar 7 times, braille a I N G sign (dots 3, 4, 6),
followed by 10 hypens (dots 3, 6), then braille a u (dots 1, 3, 6) If done
correctly you should be feeling a triangle.

I hope you have enjoyed making these simple braillables as much as I did my
first time making them. If you plan it out and visualize it in your mind's
eye, you can "build" a triangle on top of a square and you would have a
simple house. The possibilities are endless and limited only by your
imagination.
 remember, to stay on the dotted line of life!!

Cathy F