[Nfb-krafters-korner] Container gardening… Tonight's chat

Nella Foster jellybeanfarm at gmail.com
Tue May 24 12:59:25 UTC 2016

I want to thank Theresa for leading a wonderful discussion on container gardening.

I'm all inspired to go play in the dirt today.

Out of curiosity I looked on BARD to see a listing of gardening books.  There are over 100 books.  There are several books written for container and small space gardening.  There are also several that provide information for elderly and disabled gardeners.

Last night someone mentioned a book about square foot gardening.  I think this is the listing.

All new square foot gardening: grow more in less space! DB69864
Bartholomew, Mel. Reading time: 10 hours, 36 minutes.
Read by Bob Moore.

Gardening

In this update to Square Foot Gardening (RC 21079, BR 05870), the author advises using six-inch-deep boxes containing soil that requires no digging or fertilizing and vertical frames for climbing plants. Recommends creating wider aisles and elevating boxes for easier access. Gives plant-by-plant suggestions for extending the growing season. 2005.

Here are a couple that I've used and found to be very helpful.

The green guide to herb gardening: featuring the 10 most popular herbs DB50470
Harding, Deborah C. Reading time: 5 hours, 34 minutes.
Read by Patricia McDermott.

Cooking
Gardening

Provides the description, history, magical qualities, and folklore for the herbs basil, calendula, chamomile, chives, garlic, lemon balm, mint, oregano, parsley, and thyme. Offers tips on growing, harvesting, and storing them. Lists remedial, culinary, cosmetic, aromatic, ornamental, and other uses for each plant. Includes recipes. 2000.

Small-space vegetable gardens: growing great edibles in containers, raised beds, and small plots DB83087
Bellamy, Andrea. Reading time: 7 hours, 18 minutes.
Read by Kerry Dukin.

Gardening

Focusing on the special challenges of gardening in containers and small plots, Bellamy gives tips on designing and building garden areas to make the most of small spaces. Offers advice on growing in tight settings and provides an A to Z list of plants, including container suitability. 2014

Theresa Youssef's vegetable gardening for beginners DB62130
Youssef, Theresa; Youssef, Wasfi. Reading time: 7 hours, 32 minutes.
Read by Yolande Bavan.

Gardening

Basic gardening guide covers soil preparation, crop selection, organic and container methods, and pest control. Provides instructions for growing eighteen vegetables and four herbs--onions, lettuce, spinach, peas, cabbage, potatoes, broccoli, beets, carrots, radishes, tomatoes, squash, corn, beans, peppers, cucumbers, eggplants, okra, parsley, mint, basil, and catnip--grouped according to hardiness. 2000.