[Nfb-krafters-korner] Homemade Lip Balms

Nella Foster jellybeanfarm at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 03:21:36 UTC 2016

A few weeks ago I led the chat and we discussed homemade beauty products.
Since the chat I’ve made a couple lip balm recipes that I wanted to share.

If you have any questions or need clarification please let me know.

Homemade Lip Balms

Vanilla Lip Balm

2 teaspoons grated cosmetic grade bee’s wax

2 tablespoons oil

 I used sweet almond, but most any kind will work.

1 teaspoon honey

½ teaspoon vanilla extract

 You can use other cooking extracts to make different flavors.

1 to 2 small clean containers

You can purchase containers especially for lip balms at craft supply stores
and on line.

In a small sauce pan combine the bees wax and oil and place over low heat.
Stir until it is melted and well blended.  Remove from heat and add honey
and vanilla.  Mix well and let cool for a little bit.  Then pour or spoon
into containers.  This is really the hardest part of the whole recipe and
you can’t take too long or it starts to firm up.

It might help to use a small funnel to pour the mixture into the containers.
Next time I plan on mixing it and melting it in a glass measuring cup in the
microwave.  The cup has a spout, so will hopefully make it easier to pour.

You should jiggle the filled containers a bit and tap them on the counter.
This will help remove any air bubbles and make the tops smoother.  Let the
lip balm sit for a few hours and then use it.  It will set up more quickly
in the refrigerator.

Lip Fudge

1 oz. cocoa butter

1 1/2tablespoons solid vegetable shortening

I used coconut oil instead of shortening and it turned out just fine.

2 teaspoons grated cosmetic grade bee’s wax

½ teaspoon vitamin E oil (optional)

10 chocolate chips

2 to 3 small clean containers

You can purchase containers for lip balms at craft supply stores and on
line.

Mix all ingredients in a small glass bowl and microwave for about 60
seconds.  Once everything is melted stir to make sure the mixture is well
blended.  Then transfer into containers.  Let sit for a few hours or put
into refrigerator until the lip balm is firm.

Both of these recipes were quick and easy to make.  I purchased some small
containers at Hobby Lobby, but you can find them cheaper on line.