[Nfb-krafters-korner] stick weaving

Nella Foster jellybeanfarm at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 15:31:17 UTC 2016

Henry it has been more than 15 years ago since I used them.  It will also
take a trip to the attic to find them.  I need to go there any way because I
want to find my pot holder loom too.  I don't like the attic I always
imagine bats up there even though my Dad says there are none. Lol

A friend made mine and I think there were 6 needles made of wood.  I think
they are about 4 inches long.  One end is pointy, kind of like a knitting
needle and the other has a whole for the thread.  You put the thread through
and make it as long as you wish.  It is doubled and you tie it in a knot.
You do this with all the needles.  So you will end up with 6 long double
threads.  You then take your ball of thread and tie the end around the
needle to the left.  You then start weaving the working threads back and
forth between the needles.  You keep sliding it down the needles and the
threads.  The knots at the ends of the threads hold the fabric in place.
You keep doing this until the 6 long threads are covered.  You can leave
some thread below the knots so there will be a fringe.  I used a thin cotton
yarn, but guess you could use most any fiber if it will fit through the
needles.  You can use 3 or more of the needles to make different widths.  I
really couldn't hold more than 6 needles at a time, so that is the most I've
used.

I'll do some research and try to learn more.  I will also see what I can
find out about where to get the weaving sticks.

Nella