[Nfb-krafters-korner] Braille, ways to teach, ways I use it.

Cathy Flesher flowersandherbs at gmail.com
Sat Aug 5 01:22:15 UTC 2017

Hi all,

When I was at a guide dog school getting one of my five dogs, I happened to
meet a totally blind man who had not yet learned braille. he had been told
that he could not learn it. I am not sure why he was told that. However, I
assured him that he could learn. One day I found a pack of playing cards and
the guy said he wished he could still play cards with friends. So I taught
him braille using the cards. He was a quick study and soon was able to
identify most of the cards in the deck. Unfortunately, we did not get
through the entire alphabet but I am certain he went on to insist that
someone teach him braille.

I learned when I was six to use the braille writer and then when I was seven
I learn contracted braille and to use the slate and stylus.

Learning to become comfortable reading UEB can take some patience and
effort, but Hadley has a nice course to help you learn as much as you'd like
to learn about it.
For those opposed to UEB, I think it is important to remember that the
change was initiated to enable computers to more accurately transcribe
braille for our use. times change and we must keep up with the times.

I continue to use braille in certain situations and if I had a braille
display, embosser or note taker I might use it more.
I have just completed a huge project of brailling out over 300braille
greeting cards with tactile pictures on a Perkins brailler. Check them out
on our homepage, I am proud of them!

Have a great day!!
Cathy F