[Nfb-krafters-korner] want to know Wednesday

Sandra Streeter sandrastreeter381 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 31 15:41:39 UTC 2017

My mom just, a week and a half ago, turned me on to the Knitters Paradise forum. Everything was easily navigable (though sometimes, of course, not the items you get referred to—but that would be hard to control for), and they welcomed me with open arms; several even had relatives who are blind crafters. They welcome my input, too, and have the same “can-do” attitude I have toward my trying new things. The welcome messages must have been pouring in for like 3 days—it was wonderfully warm. I can’t provide the link at this moment, due to a quirky internet problem, but you can easily find it.

KK was my first online group—I think I joined 3-4 years ago. Before that, when I was still part of our local community center of the blind, I was in their craft group for years; then, after the craft dir. left, the group disbanded, and no new crafters came in, so they got rid of all their craft stuff; for a variety of other reasons not worth mentioning, I have since left that center, but the group was really fun, for as long as it lasted. I also used to belong to a library craft group, ‘til I got my last job and scheduling wouldn’t permit; then, when I lost that job, and tried to get back in, there wasn’t transportation. So, actual face-to-face groups have been a real mixed bag for me.

I never started a group, but did try to teach beginner crochet for a women’s retreat, but found it wasn’t a great fit, so usually don’t respond when teaching opps arise—let others pick up that slack.

Sandra

One can never consent to creep, when one feels an impulse to soar.
(Helen Keller)

---