[Nfb-krafters-korner] raisin bread

Ramona Walhof walhoframona at gmail.com
Fri Dec 22 15:13:28 UTC 2017

My version:  You can divide it, of course.  This fits my Bosch mixer.

1 cup warm water with 1 tablespoon dry yeast

dissolve yeast in water and let stand  about 2 minutes.

place in mixer bowl one-half cup honey, one-half cup vegetable oil,  and add
yeast mixture.  then mex until blended.

Add four cups flour, (I use 100 percent whole wheat flour, but white can
work), and 3 cups water.

mix until smooth.

add 2 cups raisins, four more cups flour, and 3 more cups water.  Mix well.
This should give a very moist dough.

You will need 2 to 3 more cups flour.

Then gneed until bread dough is silky and a large pinch of dough will stand
up from the rest  and the sides of the bowl are clean.  Then gneed an extra
minute for good measure.

Place 2 tablespoons oil in a large mixing bowl, glass or plastic, and
transfer dough from mixer bowl to plain bowl.

Flip dough until it is covered with oil.  Cover and let stand until more
than double in size.

I like to heat water in the microwave to warm in up.  Then remove the water
and place the dough inside.

When dough is fluffy and high, remove from raising spot and flour cutting
board or counter.  Divide dough into loaves.  I get five to six loaves,
depending on size of pans.

Grease pans with marjorine or oil.  Butter is not as good.  Shape loaves and
place in pans.

Cover top of loaves with oil or butter with fingers or brush.  Cover with
damp towel or parchment paper and towel.

Let rise until double in size.

Bake at 350 degrees for 35 to 45 minutes, depending on your oven.  Tapping
dough on top gives you a sort of echo sound.  The knife test should be used
with caution, as raisins can leave it sticky.

Remove bread from oven and remove from pans immediately.  It should just
fall out of pans when held upside down.  If you like it rich, cover all
sides of loaves with butter.  Let cool before bagging.

If you want walnuts,  they should be added at the same time as the raisins.
Other fruit, such as crushed oranges or crushed cranberries can replace the
raisins. If using very juicy fruit, you can short the water by half a cup or
just add more flour.

Don't expect perfection the first time, but play with this bread.  It will
be delicious. You can freeze it, but I usually give away all but one loaf.
Your hands should love this dough, and you can't handle it too much.  Pet
it, punch it, squash it while dividing and shaping, and enjoy it.

Ramona .