[Nfb-krafters-korner] dropped stitches, I'm crying now!! need advice!

Dorothea Martin bestsinger at samobile.net
Sat Feb 4 20:02:25 UTC 2017

Hi, Cathy,
Please don't feel bad about those frogs which have invaded your house.
We really all teach ourselves to knit and we learn best after a good
frogging. At least that's how I learn.
As for the best way to transfer stitches to a needle of another size,
this is to have a set of interchangeable knitting needles so that you
just take off the two needle tips from the ends of the cable and put on
the tips of the size you need. These sets cost from $30 to $180
depending on which material the needle tips and cords are made of. If
you are a beginning knitter, you might like to begin with a plastic
set. It's cheaper and the stitches won't slide off the needles by
accident. I like the ones by Knit Denise because you don't have to use
a key to tighten the connection between the cord and the needle tip.
Many people prefer the bamboo or wooden needles from Knitpicks. They
are a little more expensive than the Knit Denise needles and the
stitches slide more easily, also slide more easily right off the
needles They use cord keys, however. At the high end are the Addi
needles, made in Germany. I have two sets of Knit Denise and use them
whenever I can.  I also have some Addis and use them when I need to do
Magic Loop knitting or when I have a very heavy piece of knitting and
am afraid that the joints between cord and tip in my Knit Denise
needles will give way and drop my stitches, or have already given way
and dropped my stitches once on this piece.
Now, if this is not the month for the budget for new needles, you must
transfer every stitch one at a time. You might like to put something on
the other ends of your two circulars to make sure that the stitches
don't fall off one end while you are working on the other. In any case,
all the best.
Dotty