[Nfb-krafters-korner] Want To Know Wednesday

Julie Johnson julielj402 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 20:58:01 UTC 2017

Sure!  The fleece blanket is just your basic  squares of fleece fabric.
You can cut them any size you want as long as they are square.  Ours are
about 8 by 8 or so. Then you cut slits around the edge to make a
fringe.  Then tie one fringe from one square to the fringe on the next.
We are using three different solid colors, plus one print.   You can
arrange the squares in any design you like.  The one we are working on
now has light brown, dark brown and forest green in a random pattern for
the center of the blanket.  Then the autumn leaves pattern will go
around the outside of the blanket.

Last year we did one with black, turquoise and purple solid squares.
The print edge we used was a pink with hearts in various colors
including the solid colors we chose.  We meet for an hour once a week.
By the time we get out the pieces, figure out where we left off and get
going  there's not a ton of actual work time. Then add in getting into a
conversation and  it ends up taking us most of the school year to make a
blanket.  It's fun and I think it helps the conversation, especially in
the beginning when we were just getting to know each other.

If anyone has ideas for other projects that would be appropriate, please
let me know.  Doing something different for next school year would be
fun.  It has to be reasonably inexpensive, say less than $50, be easily
portable, can be worked on in small increments and be super easy to
learn.   Also it has to be cool for a young teen girl!

Thanks!
Julie