[Nfb-krafters-korner] Want To Know Wednesday

Julie Johnson julielj402 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 21:14:12 UTC 2017

Sure!  They did start out more like a craft project.  It's kind of
exploded though.  I have boxes and bags of supplies all over the
place.   *smile*

The story...
Once upon a time, I had a guide dog who hated her harness.  She would
hide under the kitchen table whenever I picked it up.  So being the
unconventional type, I decided to make her a different harness.  It
would be super comfortable, washable, pretty and she would love it!

It turned out to be a bigger project than I originally thought.  I tried
different materials, different designs, but did finally create a nice
harness for her after a few months.  Friends and random internet
followers read as I went through the process of harness creation.  After
creating that harness for Belle, I had people wanting to purchase one
for their guides.

I didn't anticipate that, but saw an opportunity for a business. That
was in 2005.  Since then I quit the business, started it up again, added
lots of new products and just last week have opened a shop in the blind
Mice Mart. My business is On The Go, if you want to look for it there.

I continue to make all the nylon webbing products by hand.  Those
include: guide harnesses, guide dog leashes, hands free leashes, various
collars, collar bells, door bells and relieving harnesses.    Just this
year, in conjunction with the shop in the Blind Mice Mall, I added a
number of manufactured products.

I'm not sure what's next.  I'm always looking for new ideas, new things
to add, new crafts to try.  My husband got a wood burning kit for
Christmas.  He hasn't taken it out of the box.  I'm seriously eyeing
it.  I think I could make some cool stuff!

Julie