[Nfb-krafters-korner] five hour baby sweater help-- making a swatch

Cathy Flesher flowersandherbs at gmail.com
Sat Jun 3 01:37:23 UTC 2017

Hi Lovette,

Your first step is to knit a swatch. you want to determine how many stitches
across it takes for you to have a fabric an inch wide. you also want to
determine how many rows it will take you to nit an inch long piece of
fabric. The measurements you get will be determined by both what yarn weight
you are using as well as what size needles. So when you make this swatch you
can also decide whether you feel that the knitted sample is too lacy or too
thick. if for example it is too lacey, purchase some smaller gauge needles
and make another swatch and count your stitches both across and down to find
out your knitting per inch. Once you have this information, you can give it
to Joyce and I am sure she will be happy to help you to determine how many
stitches to cast on at the beginning.

Thanks to Ramona for helping me to understand this important step when
knitting clothing.

Have a great day!!
Cathy F