[Nfb-krafters-korner] sewing machine day, and dads

Sandra Streeter sandrastreeter381 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 14 15:45:32 UTC 2017

I’m forwarding this to my mom, because I think she’ll enjoy the article about the sewing machine. I have happy memories of her making school clothes for us, back when fabric was not as costly as now. Also, to her credit, she had no qualms about my participation in junior and senior high home-ec classes, where I was to get my first sewing-machine experience.

So, about my dad: A few years back as we were visiting neighbors at our vacation home in VT, they offered to let me try their four-wheeler. Later, my dad confided giving them a slight-panicky expression, but said he never would have stopped me—as a parent, you may be afraid to let your blind kid do something, but you never let on, because that holds them back. Like all families, we have our issues, but, knowing that a lot of blind kids have been seriously sheltered and overprotected, I think I got the better deal, in that department! So, these remarks are my early Happy Birthday, Mom, on the 16th,  and early Happy Father’s Day, Dad—love ya both!
Sandra

Not “Revelation” – tis – that waits
But our unfurnished eyes –
(Emily Dickinson)