[Nfb-krafters-korner] Want To Know Wednesday 6/14/17

Maria Chapman bubbygirl1972 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 15 06:54:45 UTC 2017

 well my grandfather lived in Italy, so I only met him a few times when mum and I were there when I was little.  I still have lovely memories of my grandfather. The 2 big influential men in my life, as far as father figures go, were my dad and my god father.  My god father has lived with my family ever since or maybe before I was born.  He is the one that instilled a love of reading in me.  He would sit and help me read the print braille books I had, but I would also bring home books from the school library or he would buy them, and I would climb in to bed with him, and he would read to me. He would also read articles of interest in the newspaper etc. A humorous memory that comes to mind, is when I was a teen. I used to love the wham song careless whispers.  My god father would walk around the house overtime I played the song singing “careless whispering.”. This was made all the funnier as he is Italian, and has kind of a deep gravelly voice. so the accent and the voice was quite funny to me and my teenaged friends. lol. Now when I call my family on the phone and ask him how he’s doing, he says “you know, Ima under de hammer.” lol.
My dad who passed away last year at 90, was also a huge part of my life.  He loved singing and music, and I believe that’s where I got my love of music from.  If he didn’t remember the words, he would simply make them up.  He would sometimes make a tune up as well with hilarious results in broken english. My dad was always happy go lucky, even when he lost our car in a shopping centre car park.  he’d still walk along singing.  He taught me to pray when I was little, and was always there wanting to hug you and anyone else who would let him.  I am truly blessed to have had these men in my life.

Maria