[Nfb-krafters-korner] Scarfie

Dani Pagador daniknits at gmail.com
Mon Mar 6 05:33:16 UTC 2017

Hi, Henry.
Here's the pattern. Got it from another blind crafters list. It's
definitely on Ravelry by now. dded notes from both the original list
and online searches when questions came up while making the scarf.

Scarf is made up of triangles. The end product is your basic long
rectangular scarf, knitted up in triangles. You gotta work the pattern
to catch on to the process. Really fun.

 <snip>
   Multidirectional Diagonal Scarf
   Materials

   It takes approximately 200 yds. of yarn to make a 4' scarf, 300 yds.
  to make a 6' scarf. (Your exact mileage will depend on how heavy the
  yarn is and what needle size you choose.) Use all one yarn, or
  experiment with alternating among multiple yarns to get a striped or
  patchwork effect. Variegated and self-striping yarns are particularly
  well-suited for this project.
   For a fairly solid-looking scarf, use the needle size recommended on
  the ball band of your chosen yarn. Go up a couple of needle sizes for
  a lacier-looking scarf.

   Terms defined

   Inc = knit into front and back of stitch
   SSK = slip next two stitches individually as if to knit, put tip of
  left needle into slipped stitches and knit them together
   SKP = slip one as if to knit, K1, pass slipped stitch over

   Instructions

   Cast on 1 st.
   Row 1: Inc into stitch (2 sts)
   Row 2: Inc into first stitch, K to end. (3 sts)

   Repeat Row 2 until one side edge of your triangle (i.e., not the
  "live" edge on the needle) is as wide as you want your scarf. About 5"
  is good, but skinnier or wider works too-it's up to you. Now start
  your short row sections:

   Short Row Section:
   Row 1: Inc, SSK (or SKP throughout, your choice), turn.
   Row 2 and all even-numbered rows: Knit
   Row 3: Inc, K1, SSK, turn.
   Row 5: Inc, K2, SSK, turn.
   Row 7: Inc, K3, SSK, turn.

   Continue in this manner, increasing by one stitch in every
  odd-numbered row between the inc and the SSK (you won't actually need
  to count because you will always be SSK-ing the two stitches on either
  side of the gap that forms from your turn on the previous row).

   Work until you've SSK-ed the last two stitches of the row.

   Next Row: start over at Row 1 of the Short Row Section.

   Continue working Short Row Sections until your scarf is almost as
  long as you want it. Once you have completed your final Short Row
  Section, proceed as follows--

  Decrease Row: SKP, K to end.

   Repeat Decrease Row (i.e., decrease at start of *every* row) until
  you have one stitch left. Snip yarn and bind off stitch.

   Weave in ends and add fringe, if desired

   Several people have pointed out that the final section of the pattern
  is not symmetrical with the rest of the triangles. Here is an
  alternate ending by Matthew Hesson-McInnis that addresses that issue:

   For the last Triangle:
   Work as with previous triangles until 1/2 of the stitches are on the
  right needle and 1/2 of the stitches remain on the left needle.
  Instead of starting each garter stitch ridge with an increase, start
  the ridge with a decrease (i.e., K1, k2tog). Continue to work the
  decrease in the "middle" of the row as before, and after making this
  second decrease, both needles will have the same number of sts. When 6
  sts remain, work as follows:
   K1, K3tog, turn, k2
   k3tog, turn, k1
   K2tog, cut yarn & pull through last remaining loop"

  Happy Knitting,
  Dani

  P.S. Also found this explaining the alternate ending for the scarf.

  "Wednesday, February 25, 2004

  I figured it out! I figured out how to make the end of the
  Multidirectional Scarf look like the beginning (so the little triangle
  runs in the opposite direction). It's actually super easy!

  Here are directions for an alternate ending to the Multidirectional Scarf.

  When you've made your last full triangle divide the number of stitches
  you have in half, in your head. For instance, I had 25, so 13 was
  right in the middle.

  Do the following for the first half of the stitches (in my case, 13 stitches):
  Row 1: Inc, SSK (or SKP)
  Row 2: Knit
  Row 3: Inc, K1, SSK (or SKP)
  Row 4: Knit
  Row 5: Inc, K2, SSK (or SKP)
  ... (this is just like what you were doing for the large triangles,
  except you will stop this pattern when you reach your center stitch)

  Once you have reached that center stitch/row (so, in my case, once I
  had reached row #13) start doing the following:
  Row 1(first row after center stitch/instructions above): Dec (i.e.
  SSK, K2Tog), K (just as you would with the rest of the pattern, knit
  until you reach the stitch that gets Slipped), SSK (or SKP)
  Row 2: Knit
  Row 3: Dec, K#, SSK
  Row 4: Knit

  Once you have one stitch left on the needle pull the tail through the
  loop, and you're done.

  Basically, what you are doing is continuing in the main pattern for
  the first half of a large triangle, but, instead of continuing and
  making a full large traingle, you continue in the normal pattern with
  ONE ALTERATION -- you decrease, instead of increase, at the start of
  the row. So that center stitch is your longest row of this small
  triangle, the end of which forms one corner of the end of the scarf.
  Then you want to start making the rows shorter so that eventually you
  only have one stitch left up at the other corner of the end of the
  scarf.

  Make sense? I hope so, but feel free to ask me to clarify. Once you've
  actually done it you'll realize how much of a nobrainer it really is."

  Source: http://purlgirl.blogspot.com/2004_02_01_archive.html?m=0

On 3/5/17, Henry Osborne via Nfb-krafters-korner