[Nfb-krafters-korner] answers to Want To Know Wednesday

Nella Foster jellybeanfarm at gmail.com
Fri Mar 10 13:44:13 UTC 2017

Here are the answers to the Want To Know Wednesday quiz.  I have also
attached it as a word document if that is easier for some.

I promise some of the answers will make you laugh.

One.  Which of the following terms was used for a crafting get together?

a.       a sit and knit

b.       A yarn social

c.       A frolic

d.       A knit off

The answer is a frolic.  I made up all the rest.  The book gave other terms
such as a knitting circle, a knit in, a knitting bee and a stitch and bitch.

Two.  How many calories do you burn from knitting for one hour?

a.       79

b.       87

c.        96

d.       102

The answer is 102, who would have ever thought it.

Three.  What kind of fabric did Betsy Ross use to make her flag?

a.       Cotton

b.       Hemp

c.        Silk

d.       Wool

The answer is hemp; supposedly it was made of 100% hemp.

Four.  Which of the following was never a vintage yarn color?

a.       elephant breathe

b.      dead Spaniard

c.       Paris on fire

d.       Flea

e.      Flies and Roses

f.        Stifled sigh

g.       Lusty gallant

The answer is Flies and Roses.  I had so much fun with this one.  You would
not believe all the terrible color names given to vintage yarns.  There was
even one call goose turd.  I'm sure glad I didn't have to shop for, or wear
the yarn back then.

Five.  Which country produces the most wool?

A.      Australia

B.       China

C.       New Zealand

D.       United Kingdom

The answer is China.

Six.  Which state produces the most cotton?

a.       Texas

b.       Georgia

c.        Alabama

d.       Mississippi

The answer is Texas.

Seven.  How much mohair does it take to make a light weight sweater?

a.       14 ounces

b.       16 ounces

c.        18 ounces

d.       21 ounces

The answer is 16 ounces.

Eight.  Which of the following is not another name for the Knitting Spool?

a.       Knitting Nancy

b.       French Knitter

c.        Lazy Lizzie

d.       Corker

e.       Knitting Tower

The answer is Lazy Lizzie.  A knitting spool has been called a Busy Lizzie,
but not a Lazy Lizzie.

Nine.  Which of the following breed of sheep are not raised for their wool?

a.       Merino

b.       Shetland

c.        Columbian

d.       Katahdin

e.      Southdown Babydoll

The answer is Katahdin.  Katahdin sheep have hair, not wool.  Their hair is
quite short and sheds out in the spring and summer.  They are raised for
meat.

Ten.  In what year did the United States Post Office issue a knitting themed
holiday stamp?

a.       2007

b.       2001

c.        1997