[Nfb-krafters-korner] November's Contest and other info

Nella Foster jellybeanfarm at gmail.com
Thu Nov 2 16:52:01 UTC 2017

Amy, these are all really good ideas.

Nella

-----Original Message-----
From: Nfb-krafters-korner [mailto:nfb-krafters-korner-bounces at nfbnet.org] On
Behalf Of Amy Herstein via Nfb-krafters-korner
Sent: Thursday, November 02, 2017 10:48 AM
To: List for blind crafters and artists
Cc: Amy Herstein; kkcontests2007 at gmail.com
Subject: Re: [Nfb-krafters-korner] November's Contest and other info

Here's one for you all. Originally, I don't think the lady who told me about
this one had Christmas in her mind, but here's how I'd adapt it.

For her wedding, a good friend of mine baked large batches of gingersnaps.
She purchased enough small gift boxes for all of her guests, then used the
cookies she had baked to line the boxes, one each on the bottom and all four
sides. For obvious reasons, she couldn't use a cookie to line the lids and
have them stay in place.
These were only small boxes, as she used them for the place settings at the
tables during her reception. Into each cookie-lined box, she placed several
small truffles, all wrapped in shiny paper. I'm afraid I don't remember how
she decorated the outsides of her boxes.

So my Christmas adaptation is like this. I think it would be great for a
dinner party, even for Thanksgiving if you alter your theme.

Bake a family favorite. My advice is not to use brownies or anything too
soft because it might mush. Get yourself some small gift boxes, the plainer
the better so you can adorn them however you please. Set a cookie on the
bottom, then stand four more up along the sides. Maybe, you'll have to
wriggle them between the base cookie and the box sides so they stay up; it
all depends on just how big your boxes and cookies are.

You don't have to use the chocolates my friend used, though I'm sure that
would be a popular choice. When my uncle and aunt married, Jordan almonds
were part of the party favors bundle they handed out. I also don't see why
sticking to candy is a mandate; why not try something like smaller cookies,
such as macaroons?

If you can't get the cookies to stand up, I'd say try bolstering them with a
few sparkle-wrapped candies or something in the corners or wherever as
place-holders.

I picture this box being something dainty, a touch of luxury for a holiday
or other festive occasion, so I might gild the lily, line the box with
something sparkly before adding my cookies and other goodies.
Maybe a snowflake doily or a piece of lace.

Okay, now for the outside. I have several ideas.

Cutting lace doilies for each side and the tops could be nice, make them
ivory or a delicate white, or make them a color to suit your theme. Or wrap
the box in little pieces of silk. You could also make it less serious and
more fun by having kids draw pictures: snowmen, snowflakes, bunnies, cats,
Santas, candles, anything they want, on there. You can also go for plain but
pretty: Wrap them in gold or silver paper, but do the lids separately unless
you want people to have to completely open them and rip off the decorations
to get at their contents.

If you'd like attach something, a snowflake ornament, something with some
bling to the outside of the box with some kind of ribbon.

And to set each box on? I'd make little cards with the candy and/or cookie
recipes on, put them in the middle of each place setting, and happy
holidays/party/festive occasion.

Amy

On 11/1/17, Deborah Barnes via Nfb-krafters-korner