[Nfb-krafters-korner] Fall Craft

Annette Carr amcarr1 at verizon.net
Sun Oct 1 21:35:08 UTC 2017

Hi All,

As soon as I saw the theme of fall, I remembered a craft I enjoyed doing
when I was in elementary school.  I do not know what to call it, so I will
describe the steps to make the item.  Maybe we could call this a fall
stained glass craft.

Supplies:

.         Fall leaves

.         Shredded crayons or confetti (optional)

.         Waxed paper

.         Cardboard frame.

.         Thin dish towel or piece of cloth.  We may have used a piece of
construction paper.  That part is a bit fuzzy in my memory.

.         Firm surface that can tolerate wax.  If you cover your work
surface with paper, do not use newspaper.  A second dishcloth or piece of
cloth laid on the work surface will do.

.         Iron that you would use for ironing clothing.

Directions:

.         Take a walk outside and collect leaves.  You want ones that show
off falls colors.  the leaves should be flat and not so dried out that they
have started to curl up.

.         Shred the crayons if you are going to do this.  I do not remember
how this was done, maybe the teacher did it.

.         Cut 2 pieces of wax paper the same size as your cardboard frame.
If you make it larger then the frame, you can cut it later to ensure a good
fit..

.         If using a piece of paper or cloth to protect your work surface,
put it down.

.         Lay one piece of waxed paper on the covered work surface.

.         Lay 1 leaf in the center of the waxed paper, or arrange multiple
leaves.  Keep leaves away from the edges so that they are not covered by the
frame later.

.         Sprinkle the shredded crayon or confetti on the waxed paper around
the leaf/leaves.  You do not want them on the leaves.

.         Lay the second piece of waxed paper on top of your creation.  Be
sure to keep the edges lined up together.

.         Cover with the dishtowel or other item to act as a barrier between
the waxed paper and the iron.  You do not want wax on the bottom of your
iron.

.         Slowly move your iron over the protective material.  You are using
the heat of the iron to melt the waxed paper around the leaf/leaves.

.         Gently remove the protective material and then lift your creation.
It will be like you are peeling the surfaces apart.

.         Glue the cardboard frame to the waxed paper creation.  There is
not a front or back to your creation.

.         Place your creation on a window.  This can be done with tape, or
string threaded through a whole or 2 on the top of the frame and then hung
on something on or near the window.

There you have it, a fall stained glass panel for your window.

Enjoy!

Annette