[Nfb-krafters-korner] Fall Memory

Annette Carr amcarr1 at verizon.net
Sun Oct 1 22:56:41 UTC 2017

Hi again,

When I think of fall, I think of visiting the pumpkin patch.  We would pick
out a pumpkin and a gourd.  I liked the small to medium pumpkins because I
liked decorating them instead of carving them.  I would draw a face with
markers, either make a hat out of paper, or use a baseball cap, ski hat,
scarf or bandana.  Next I would use construction paper to create feet
sticking out from the bottom of the pumpkin, and arms/hands sticking out
from the sides.  While I have carved pumpkins before, I personally did not
feel that it let me be as creative as my decoration technique.  Now, I don't
mind cleaning out the pumpkin and roasting the pumpkin seeds.

Then there were the gourd rattles.  We would set the gourds on a windowsill
or on the heat vent and try to be patient while they dried out.  Each day we
would check our gourd by shaking it.  Finally one day we would be rewarded
when it rattled like a maraca.  Some people liked to paint their gourd, I
liked mine all natural.  I have no memory of why or when they disappeared.

Annette