[Nfb-krafters-korner] Fall Pumpkin Seed Recipe

Annette Carr amcarr1 at verizon.net
Sun Oct 1 23:15:13 UTC 2017

Since I mentioned it in my previous post, I thought I might share my pumpkin
seed recipe.  It is easy, but requires patients.

.         Remove seeds from the pulp.

.         Rinse the seeds in water to remove any remaining pulp.

.         Spread the seeds on a cookie sheet and cover with paper towels.
Try to arrange them in a single layer, but this might be difficult depending
on how many you have for the size of the tray.

.         Set on the counter for a couple of days, until the seeds are dry
enough that they are not sticking together.  Periodically move them around
to help the drying process.  It is difficult to say how long this will
actually take.  You could try putting them in the oven at a very low
temperature, but you do not want to cook them at this point.

.         Once dry, place in a bowl.  Sprinkle/spritz olive oil, garlic
powder and a small bit of sea salt  on the seeds.  Toss until all are
coated.

.         Spread onto a cookie sheet with sides, and place in a 300-350
degree oven.

.         Occasionally, move the seeds around.  I recommend that you take
the seeds out of the oven to do this.

.         Periodically check the seeds for doneness.  You probably want to
do this by sampling a couple.  Be careful to not burn your mouth.  You are
looking for the seeds to be crispy and not soft, mushy or spongy, nor burnt.

.         Once they have reached the doneness that you like let cool and
enjoy.  If you have any left over, store in an air tight container for up to
a few days.  They never last long in my house, so I cannot tell you how long
they will keep.

So does anyone have a recipe for using the actual pumpkin?  How about a
pumpkin soup?

Annette