[Nfb-krafters-korner] fall

Zimmer, Cindy cindy.zimmer at nebraska.gov
Tue Oct 10 16:03:08 UTC 2017

Thanks for sharing Bernice!

-----Original Message-----
From: Nfb-krafters-korner [mailto:nfb-krafters-korner-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Bernice via Nfb-krafters-korner
Sent: Monday, October 9, 2017 8:32 PM
To: 'List for blind crafters and artists' <nfb-krafters-korner at nfbnet.org>; kkcontests2007 at gmail.com
Cc: Bernice <1948lighthouse at gmail.com>
Subject: [Nfb-krafters-korner] fall

Good Evening,

I loved the fall because it was the beginning of a new school year.  I loved learning, and it was a fresh start.  Everything felt fresh and new.  My Mom would make me all new clothes to take back to school with me.

When I was very young, we lived in a small college town, and I remember that people would rake their leaves to the curb and burn them right there in the street.  Cars would sometimes scatter the burning leaves.  I loved the smell of the burning leaves, the grapes before they were picked, and most of all the smell of the making of catsup in our town.  There was a factory that made catsup right at the far end of our street.  I just loved that smell.  I would volunteer to hang the clothes out and anything that took me outside.
We had a clothes drier, but my father wouldn't let us use it when the weather was nice and dry.  Nothing is like the fresh smell of sheets dried outside.  Of course, most things had to be ironed if you dried them outside on a clothes line.

I never liked the heat much, so fall felt like a relief from the heat.  My Mom canned preserved, and froze fruits and vegetables all late summer and fall.  Four our family of six, she would can about 250 quarts of tomatoes.
When I went to the school for the blind, I actually felt sorry for kids that didn't know how to hull strawberries, tip green beans, or husk corn.  I did those things from the time I was very young to help out.

We always had a bushel of apples in our back room to eat whenever we wanted them.  My mom made the greatest desserts with those fantastic apples.  I only learned a few years ago that she was a test kitchen for Betty Crocker.
Those experimental recipes were pretty darn good.

Happy fall,

Bernice and the sweet Octane.