[Nfb-krafters-korner] Fall

Nella Foster jellybeanfarm at gmail.com
Fri Oct 20 18:25:07 UTC 2017

When I was in elementary and middle school my brother and I used to collect
walnuts to make some money.  There was a place in a nearby town that would
pay us so much a pound for all the ones we could bring in.

There were lots of walnut trees on the farm, so there were pounds and pounds
of nuts to be gathered.  When the walnut falls off the tree it is surrounded
by a softer outer shell.  This shell will stain your hands and clothes a
lovely greenish brown color.  I don't know why we never wore gloves, but we
didn't and our hands would be that disgusting color for weeks.

We would rush home from school, put on old clothes and head out to the
fields and woods.  We would put the walnuts in old cattle feed bags and then
leave them at the base of the trees.  My Dad would then come around with the
farm truck and load them up for us.  When we got a whole truck load, Dad
would take them to town where they would be weighed and sold.

I can't even remember how much we were paid per pound, but I do remember
being very proud about the money we made.  Sadly, my little farm doesn't
have any walnut trees and I  haven't had an opportunity to gather them up
for years.

I still remember my classmates asking what happened to my hands and once a
teacher insisted I go wash my hands.  I've since read that the stain from
walnuts used to be used to dye fiber.  I bet it is a lasting color.

Nella