[NFB-Krafters-Korner] in the garden

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Wed Aug 29 14:42:37 UTC 2018

Hi Judy.
I am always happy to talk about gardening!
My method for telling weeds from vegetables and flowers is to mark where I
planted my seeds with a bit of stick.  There are always twigs and dry stalks
lying around to use.  If it's a plant with some space around it, like
broccoli, I put the stick close to where I planted the seed or seedling.  If
it's a square of seeds, like a space for lettuce or spinach, I put a stick
at each corner of the square.  I use the square-foot method, sort of, but
the same kind of stick markers could be used for rows.
Then, when my seeds start to come up, like lettuce, I look at the plants.
If there are several the same and one different, the odd one is probably a
weed.  If I'm not sure, I leave it until things are a bit bigger.
Over the years, I've learned what most of my plants and weeds feel like, so
it's easier to tell, but every year a new kind of weed shows up to keep
things interesting.

These days, quite a few plants are being bred to grow in containers.  A
container makes it easier to control water, and to put the plant where it
will do well.  Nella likes this method, and I'm doing more of it myself.  I
particularly like self-watering pots, which make it even easier to manage
water.

My tomatoes are rolling in faster than I can eat them now, and the beans,
zinnias, sunflowers and dahlias are all growing and flowering at full tilt.
And the passionflower is trying to take over the world.  My garden is
spilling over with joyful abundance.
Tracy