[NFB-Krafters-Korner] in the garden

Judy Jones sonshines59 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 19:25:58 UTC 2018

I'm certainly no gardener, as you can tell from my earlier e-mails, but if we don't rely on color when we go to the store to pick out produce, we shouldn't need to depend on it in the garden. For instance, with tomatoes, they have a riper smell to them in generel. alson, if in doubt, pick one and try it.  The riper ones can sometimes be  detected, as the unripe ones are lik hard fruits with no give. Generaizing, of course, and the gardeners among us may have better ideas.
When we had a big cherry tree, I could tell by feel which were ripe and which were not. The tree was so big that one side of it more toward the sun would ripen before the other.

JudySent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
-------- Original message --------From: "Powers, Terry (NIH/NCI) [E] via NFB-Krafters-Korner" <nfb-krafters-korner at nfbnet.org> Date: 8/29/18  12:06 PM  (GMT-08:00) To: 'List for blind crafters and artists' <nfb-krafters-korner at nfbnet.org> Cc: "Powers, Terry (NIH/NCI) [E]" <terry.powers at nih.gov> Subject: Re: [NFB-Krafters-Korner] in the garden

How does a blind person tell when it is time to pick the crop.  Many items depend on the color!

Terry P.