[NFB-Krafters-Korner] Roses Question

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Thu Aug 30 13:59:28 UTC 2018

Hi Judy.
You've gotten some good advice.  A visit from a knowledgeable gardener could
be a good thing.  And a hard prune, too, in late winter.  Don't cut them
back to the ground, but cut them maybe a foot tall.
>From what I've read, blackspot happens when rain hits the soil and bounces
fungus up onto the leaves.  I think the cure is to clean up the leaves
around the bushes, but I have grass and low bushes around my roses, which
might help, though iI have to cut the grass by hand sometimes.
I tend to have a rough-and-ready approach to shrubs.  Once they've dug in
their roots, they have to survive without a lot of fuss.  If they don't,
they're not for me.  I toss some organic fertilizer around my roses maybe
once or twice a year, keep them pruned, and that's about it.  Some are doing
well, and some have gone to the big compost heap.
>From what I've seen, all roses lose a lot of leaves in the hot part of
summer, then they grow some more when it cools down.  Mine are looking a bit
scruffy right now, but they're starting to put out new growth for the fall.
Aphids can be felt.  They're like a squillion little grains on the bottom of
leaves and on the stem.  I either wipe them off with my hand, or, better,
hit them hard with the hose spray.
HTH.
Tracy