[NFB-Krafters-Korner] Sewing Machines?

Dani Pagador daniknits at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 21:01:44 UTC 2018

Hi, Everyone.
I'm coming out of lurkdom to ask if it's possible to learn to use a
sewing machine beyond just sewing straight seams. I have a seam guide
and access to a surger and an industrial strength sewing machine--my
Mom used to sew out of her home and has four or five different
machines that she might let me use if I could help her be comfortable
with the idea, and could get help learning how to use them. I need too
decrease the size of a bed encasement, which would mean taking it
apart and cutting the fabric down to fit my matress, then sewing it up
again, including a zipper and Velcro closures. The concept seems easy
enough to do aside from the zipper learning curve. What are your
thoughts?

I know I could probably bring it to Mom and get her to do it, but I
want to be able to work with the machines and materials and concepts
myself and manage my own sewing project needs. I've always wanted to
learn to sew, but there's no local resource. My local VR center has a
manual arts/woodworking class, but no sewing class. And I don't want
to have to enroll in the whole program just to be able to take a
sewing class.

Mom is in her seventies, and I want her to be around for a looong time
yet, but have to think about that she might not be for some unforeseen
reason. I want to learn to sew to keep her with me after she's gone.

Thanks,
Dani