[NFB-Krafters-Korner] Learning to knit

Arianna Sepulveda englishrider91 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 13:23:22 UTC 2018

Hello, everyone,

I'm so glad I found this group!

I just went to Michaels Yesterday and picked up some burgundy bulky
yarn and some size 11 aluminum knitting needles. I think the yarn is
acrylic, since it feels soft and fluffy, kind of like those soft,
fleecy robes you can buy. It's apparently considered blanket yarn, but
I'm hoping that won't make a difference for my project. I'm looking to
make a scarf with it. I have over 200 yards in a package, and I got
two packages (yay for buy one get one 50% off!) so I think I might be
able to make more than one scarf. They would be for my husband and I.
I'm excited to have matching scarves!

I learned some knitting about eight or nine years ago, but really
don't remember all that much. I found some tutorials on-line at
fingeringyarn.wordpress.com
I also heard of a book called The Touch of Yarn, but can't find a link
to purchase it. Everything I've found so far leads to dead ends. Is
this book still for sale? If so, where can I purchase a copy?

I'm really hoping to get back into this hobby, as I remember it being
really fun to knit while reading. :)

My tension could use some work; I'd always start off pretty well, but
then my tension would increase, and I'd end up with really tight
stitches. I'm sure that will all come with practice. Does anyone have
recommendations on keeping an even tension?

Also, I'm a little confused about knitting styles. I learned the kind
where you have the needle with the stitches in your left hand, and you
put the right-hand needle through a stitch, then wind the yarn from
your ball around the needle going clockwise, then pull the loop over
the right hand needle, and the stitch would be transferred. I may have
missed something in that explanation, since it's been so long, but if
anyone knows what I'm talking about, could you please let me know if I
learned English or Continental style?

Thanks,
Ari