[NFB-Krafters-Korner] Cable cast-on for knitting

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Sat Dec 8 15:15:34 UTC 2018

I just learned the cable cast-on, and I'm really liking it.  It's not real
stretchy, so I have to be careful not to pull the stitches tight as I'm
casting on, but it's a lot easier than the long-tail cast-on, which I've
been using for ages.  Now cable cast-on is my go-to.

What you do is:

Tie a slip knot a few inches from the end of the yarn, and put the loop over
the needle.

Twist the yarn once to create another loop, and slip that on the needle.
Don't pull the loop tight.

*Stick the other needle between the 2 loops.  The left needle, with the
loops, is pointing straight up, and the right needle is between the 2 loops
and pointing straight away from me.

Wrap the yarn around the right needle, on the back side away from you,
coming up from under the needle and around.  Then pull that loop through,
between the 2 loops on the left needle, and put it on the left needle.  Do
not pull it tight, but you can adjust it a little to tighten the loop below
it.

Repeat from the *.

It took a few tries to be able to pull the yarn through between the 2 loops,
and at first I did it with a crochet hook, but then I got the hang of it and
now it goes easily.

Tracy