[Nfb-krafters-korner] Counting crochet

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Mon Feb 19 14:42:01 UTC 2018

I'm re-learning crochet, after a long time away.  I've made a few things,
but nothing complicated.  When I knit, I put stitch markers every couple
pattern repeats, so I don't have to count very far.  But crochet doesn't
seem so easy to do that.  Or is it?

I'm crocheting a summer hat out of raffia.  Raffia is a palm fiber, and the
"yarn" is flat and wide.  I'm having trouble counting stitches, because
they're very fat.  Has anyone crocheted with raffia, or another ribbon yarn,
and has any hints about keeping track of where I am? The pattern is slowly
increasing, so it's a number of single stitches, followed by 2 stitches into
one hole to increase, and I lose track of where to put the increase.

Thanks.

Tracy