[Nfb-krafters-korner] Blind student uses knitting to focus and give back

Nella Foster jellybeanfarm at gmail.com
Tue Jan 23 15:40:41 UTC 2018

What a nice story.

Nella

-----Original Message-----
From: Nfb-krafters-korner [mailto:nfb-krafters-korner-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Jessica Dail via Nfb-krafters-korner
Sent: Tuesday, January 23, 2018 7:35 AM
To: nfb-krafters-korner at nfbnet.org
Cc: Jessica Dail
Subject: [Nfb-krafters-korner] Blind student uses knitting to focus and give back

This story is a perfect example, of what we should all do with our various crafting abilities! :)

I thought you would be interested in this article I found on MSN from USA TODAY: Blind student uses knitting to focus and give back

Image © (Photo: Maggie Gilroy / Staff photo)

USA TODAY

VESTAL, NY - Aspen Poole's hands move quickly, wrapping blue and white yarn around pink knitting needles.

It's a skill she has mastered. She doesn't have to think twice about the motions. She knits while listening to podcasts, watching movies and even during class.

Poole, a 19-year-old senior at Vestal High School, was born blind, has obsessive-compulsive disorder and is on the autism spectrum. To her, knitting is not just a craft.

She knits as a tool to help her stay focused and avoid fidgeting in class.

"If we're watching a movie or just doing a discussion and I don't need my BrailleNote [computer] and my hands are free, then why not use them to my advantage to make something that is a physical thing?" Poole said.

Several of Poole's teachers, including her Participation in Government teacher, Brian Donlin, understand knitting helps Poole learn and allow her to knit in class.

Other teachers have also adapted to Poole's unique way of focusing. She was cast as a townsperson who knits in "Beauty and the Beast" and will even knit onstage.

"I'm so excited," she said.

If she doesn't need to use her hands or type on her BrailleNote, Poole keeps her hands busy by knitting.

"She uses it productively," Donlin said. "It's amazing."

Constant knitting means Poole produces a lot of inventory very quickly. Instead of keeping her material, she uses it as a way to help others.

Seniors enrolled in social studies classes at Vestal High School are required to complete 10 hours of community service with a nonprofit organization.

For Donlin's Participation in Government class, Poole chose the Salvation Army, where she also donated scarves in 2016.

"I had so many, I needed to get them out," she said.

Poole knitted, packaged and donated 25 scarves to the Salvation Army in Endicott. A few scarves were made while Poole was in class, and others were made during play rehearsal.

Poole completed a majority of the work in November. At one hour per scarf, Poole logged about 25 hours of service.

"I felt good, because I was exporting crafted material to somewhere where it was going to be used," Poole said. "It wasn't going to be thrown away."

Outside of class, Poole also donated 12 scarves and a blanket to people in need of Christmas gifts.

Donlin said his service requirement gives students a way to face the unfamiliar.

"A lot of times kids don't understand [what's] outside of their world," he said. "And they grow by that. They grow also by just opportunities. They didn't know some organizations exist."

Other students have volunteered at soup kitchens, local schools, CHOW, at the Vestal Museum and as volunteer firefighters.

"It all helps," Donlin said.

After completing their service requirement, students were required to write a reflection on what they have learned.

"I think that the government should encourage people to spend their time wisely and use it to benefit other people," Poole wrote in her reflection. "For example, some of these scarves that I knit were produced when I was just waiting around on the bus, at play rehearsal, or in a study hall when I had no other work to do."

Poole began knitting around age 7. Her mother taught her, and Poole found it was a good way to make the most of her time.

She tried quilting, but found it to be too visual. But knitting was not as visual, and Poole was able to learn it by touch.

"There is a way of feeling it," she said.

On productive days, she can knit as many as five scarves in one day.

She knits so often that many people have donated her yarn and given her scrap yarn.

"I think if they're going to throw it out, I should make better use of that," Poole said.

Poole's grades are high this year, which she credits to her teachers' support.

She has access to her own "Braille rooom" — marked with a poster of Ray Charles — where she completes tests and has access to a Braille machine.

"The Braille room is her place," Donlin said. "A lot of times that's where she goes."

In addition to the BrailleNote, Poole uses a voice over application on her iPhone. She has mapped out the building, and knows each room by touch.

The students support her and help guide her through the halls, Donlin said, and are happy to accept her crafts and even homemade cookies.

The Braille room is also where Poole stores her jewelry, which she makes to sell at stores and craft shows. About 50 bracelets and 20 necklaces — each marked with a tag with Poole's name written in Braille — sit on a table in the center of the room.

"I like to keep busy and I like to use my time wisely," Poole said. "And even if I don't make money, it doesn't matter. It's just about getting the crafts out to someone who can use them."

Shared via MSN News app on iOS

Sent from my iPhone