[Nfb-krafters-korner] Want To Know Wednesday 1/24/18

Cathy Flesher flowersandherbs at gmail.com
Thu Jan 25 23:03:23 UTC 2018

Hello Nella and all,

I learned kumihimo right here on Krafters Korner.
It was a new craft for me, but sounded interesting so I took a class. later
I taught a class on braiding.

I haven't made any kumihimo braids in a while but I found them so relaxing
that I would often braid to get relaxed enough to sleep at bedtime. Often, I
would wake up in the morning with my project on the floor  after a good
night's sleep.

The below information is taken from Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kumihimo#History
Kumihimo cord was first created by a form of finger-loop braiding. Later
tools such as the marudai and the takadai were employed to make more complex
braids in shorter time. The most prominent historical use of the cords was
by samurai as both a functional and decorative way to lace their lamellar
armour and their horses' armor (barding). Kumihimo cords are now used as
ties on haori jackets and obijime, which are used for tying on an obi
(kimono sash).
A modern kumihimo disc made of firm but flexible foam plastic with notches
can also be used as a portable marudai. The discs have 32 notches that
create the tension that is usually created by tama on a marudai. The discs
are convenient but are not as versatile as the marudai. On a marudai, any
thickness or amount of string can be used, but on a disc only 32 or fewer
strand braids can be made from thin cord. Also, marudai can make many types
of braids, such as flat, four sided, and hollow. There are also rectangular
foam cards, especially suitable for making flat braids.
The foam kumihimo disc is lightweight, portable, and significantly more
affordable than the traditional marudai. Braiders can create complex braids
up to 24 bobbins and incorporate beads. There are many sizes and shapes of
foam discs available. Look for a disc that is sturdy and doesn't bend
easily, otherwise the braider will experience uneven tension.

Have a great day!!
Cathy F