[NFB-Krafters-Korner] Clay Dough Ornament

ms.sunmsflower61@gmail.com ms.sunflower61 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 01:05:44 UTC 2018

Since we talked about working with clay and making ornaments during our Chat tonight, I thought I would share the following recipe.
***Recipe***

Claydough Holiday Ornaments

2/3 cup cornstarch
(more for dusting and dipping the cutters)
1 cup baking soda
3/4 cup water
In medium sized pot combine the cornstarch, baking soda and water. Stir the mixture
over medium-low heat. After a couple of minutes, the mixture will begin to thicken.
When it looks like smooth mashed potatoes, remove the pot from the heat. Spoon the
ball of dough into a bowl and cover it with a damp cloth until it's cooled. When
it is completely cooled knead the dough on a smooth surface, adding a little more
cornstarch if it feels sticky. *If you want to add food coloring to the dough at
this point just add a little at a time since a little goes a long way.
Santa Ornament
Preheat oven to 175 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Roll out the
claydough as you would regular dough to 1/4" in thickness and dust the surface lightly
with cornstarch. If needed cornstarch can be used to dust onto the inside of Aunt
Chick's Cookie Cutters to prevent sticking also. Transfer shapes to the prepared
baking sheet. Use a straw to poke holes in the center top of each ornament. Place
the ornaments (face up) in the oven at 175 degrees for about an hour, turn the cookies
over 1/2 way during baking.
Paint and decorated with acrylics, puff paints, glitters, beads and any other baubles
you can think of!
To preserve your ornaments they can be sprayed with a clear varnish and let sit.
Tie a ribbon through the hole and knot it to hang it on your tree.

Enjoy!
Sent from Mail for Windows 10