[Nfb-krafters-korner] casting on question

Jamie Prater jdprater at bellsouth.net
Thu May 3 19:45:21 UTC 2018

Hi, I need advice with something.  I have just recently gotten started
knitting some baby blankets.  How do you figure how much long tail to use to
make a cast on of 140 or more stitches?  I seem to either not have enough or
end up casting on too many stitches or not having enough.  I have tried
multiple times and it seems I either have more than enough or not enough.  I
don't have enough of the yarns I am using and don't want to deal with a huge
tail or to cut it off.  I tried a few weeks ago to do a cast on of 171 and
ended up asking someone to cast on the stitches for me.  I want to do this
independently and was told to leave a half inch per stitch necessary to make
your starting row, so if this is true, would I need a six foot long tail or
what for a chain of 140?  I don't have this problem with smaller projects
but love the baby patterns with blocks and such like tumblind blocks and
baby blocks so would like advice on how to overcome this problem.  Thanks a
whole lot in advance.  Could you crochet a chain and put the stitches on a
knitting needle that way?  I do both crafts and was just wondering.  I only
know one way to cast on for knit stitch but I have heard there is a crochet
cast on.  Thanks again and have a blessed day.