[NFB-Krafters-Korner] Easy blanket pattern

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Thu Sep 27 14:49:48 UTC 2018

I see people are making baby blankets or throws, so I thought I'd tell y'all
about a simple pattern I made up for a knitted one.

It has a checkerboard texture.  All you do is first, create a garter stitch
border, to keep it from curling, then, knit a few stitches, then purl a few
stitches, then repeat.  On the next row, purl the knits and knit the purls,
so that the bumps come out on the same side.  After a few rows, switch, and
knit where you purled, purl where you knitted.  On the next row, purl the
purls and knit the knits.

This will give you squares, or rectangles if you like, with the bumps on one
side of the fabric, then with the bumps on the other.

In case that wasn't clear, here is what you might do:

Cast on 50 stitches.

Row 1-4:  knit.

Row 5:  knit 5 (border), knit 8, purl 8, knit 8, purl 8, knit 8, knit 5
(border).

Row 6:  knit 5, purl 8, knit 8, purl 8, knit 8, purl 8, knit 5.

Repeat rows 5-6 8 times.

row 23:  knit 5 (border), purl 8, knit 8, purl 8, knit 8, purl 8, knit 5
(border).

Row 24:  knit 5, knit 8, purl 8, knit 8, purl 8, knit 8, knit 5 (border).

Repeat rows 23-24 8 times, then go back to row 5 and repeat the whole
pattern.

End with 5 rows of knit.

You can make the squares as big or small as you like.  You can make them all
the same, or perhaps make small ones on the outside and big ones in the
middle.  I'm all about freedom in knitting--whatever floats your boat.

I made this with a soft acrylic, and it came out great, if I do say so
myself.

Tracy