[NFB-Krafters-Korner] Craft boutique

blindhands at aol.com blindhands at aol.com
Sat Sep 29 04:54:29 UTC 2018

This is not easy to answer.  You need to do a lot of research and go to
craft shows and check out prices, workmanship, materials used and Hopefully
come up with the right answers.

People can tell you to double or triple your cost of materials, but don't
sell your time short.

A few examples:

Materials for a baby's pair of overalls   You found this corduroy and it was
on sale normally $10 per y yard , but you got it for $6 a yard.  You bought
matching thread bias tape snaps and 2 cute buttons Spool cost $2, but you
don't use much whenb making the overalls.  Package of snaps $2 and you use 6
out of 10 snaps , buttons were $2, You put an elephant applique and used
scraps of fabric you already had.  The pattern cost $5.  Nowit took you 2
hours to make this.

Do you count the fabric at the sale price or the regular price?    How do
you figure in the price for the pattern?-you can use it more then once.  And
how about the fabrics you had and used   There is one other thing to think
about they basically stopped making corduroy overalls with snap crotchj for
easy changing and this is your own design.  This is why people may charge
between $40 to $50 for this and people will buy it.

Let me give you another example

I do embroidered scarves for your dog.  The scarf costs $1 I use 15
different color threads and these threads cost me $3.65 for one thousand
yards   Consider I can get an awful lot of scarves out of this thread  I
need to use stabilizer and I purchase a lot of it.  10" wide by 50 yards
costs me $30 I can get 6 small scarves from 1 yard.  It takes me 28 minutes
to finish one scarf.  So tripling it is $3.75   So I would make $5 per hour
and I paid $6,000  for my embroidery machine.  In the embroidery business
the least folks feel they should make is between $40 -$50 an hour

That is also why I charge $12 for a scarf.  That is low compared to others
out selling them on EBay and Etzie.

Joyce